- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup erythritol-based granulated sweetener (like Swerve)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp instant coffee granules
- sea salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) butter, melted
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar-free sweetener, sifted (we used Lakanto)
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 drops orange food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the coconut flour, almond flour, granulated sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee granules, and 3/4 tsp sea salt.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla, then beat with a whisk until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently mix in the dry ingredients just until smooth without overmixing. Add the half & half and quickly stir until it’s a thick, scoopable batter.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tin cups and bake in the center of the preheated oven until the tops are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes, dividing the frosting evenly among the 12 cupcakes and enjoy.
- Place the softened butter and the sweetener in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until white and fluffy, 40 to 50 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the cream, vanilla extract, and food coloring.
- Beat just until the cream, vanilla, and food coloring are incorporated into the buttercream and the mixture is very fluffy. Don't overbeat, or the frosting might separate. Frost the cupcakes immediately spreading about three tablespoons onto each cupcake or by using a decorative tip and piping bag. Store in the fridge.