Earthy mushrooms, salty-sweet shrimp, and al dente zucchini “pasta” are finished with a bright, herby macadamia-nut pesto in this easy, delicious keto dinner or lunch dish. It’s so yummy, you’ll want to make it often, but you can also easily change it up; use scallops instead of shrimp, for example. Or add a pop of color and flavor by adding a handful of halved cherry tomatoes with the mushrooms. Don’t forget to adjust the macros if you make any changes.
Add to my Shopping ListGo to my Shopping List
FOR THE PESTO
- 3/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 medium garlic clove, smashed
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
FOR THE “PASTA”
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails can be left on)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 small zucchinis, spiralized (zoodles)
- 1/4 cup fresh, hand-torn basil leaves, lightly packed
- Make the pesto: In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, nuts, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and half of the olive oil. Pulse until smooth. With the machine slowly running, add the remaining olive oil and process until smooth. Add the cheese, then pulse just a few times to incorporate. Set aside.
- Make the pasta: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm two-thirds of the olive oil. Add the shrimp, half of the salt, and all of the pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, until the shrimp is pink and cooked through, turning once halfway through cooking, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms and let them sear undisturbed for a few minutes. Stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release most of their liquid and soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with the remaining salt. Reduce the heat to medium, add the cooked shrimp, pesto, spiralized zucchini, and 1 tablespoon of water. Gently mix to combine and heat through, tossing occasionally, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the pasta to a platter or divide evenly between dinner plates and garnish with the basil. Serve.