There’s much to love about this dish, starting with layers of perfectly cooked squash intermingled with an irresistible herb-kissed cream cheese sauce. Adding flavor and crunch is a parmesan-pork panko topping. Together, they make an epic side dish that’s approachable for weeknight meals but worthy of special occasions (Hello, Thanksgiving!). With easy prep and just 10 minutes of cooking time, you can have a creamy, bubbly, golden-delicious meal or side in no time.
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces each), sliced into ¼-inch-thick disks
- 3 medium yellow squash (about 6 ounces each), sliced into ¼-inch-thick disks
- 1 tsp onion powder
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme, oregano, or basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp pork panko
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, squash, onion powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini and squash are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the dried thyme, cream, and cream cheese and cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining Parmesan cheese with the pork panko and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle the squash with the Parmesan-panko mixture and bake until the top is golden brown and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Serve right away.