- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- sea salt
- 1/3 cup powdered Erythritol sweetener, sifted (like Lakanto brand)
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (4 oz) dark chocolate chips (20% off first ChocZero order)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread the shredded coconut in one layer on one of the prepared baking sheets, then toast it in the oven until light golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Toss the coconut with a spatula, then set the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the egg whites and a pinch of salt. Beat on medium-high until the egg whites are fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the powdered erythritol and the almond and vanilla extracts, then beat until the egg whites hold firm peaks on the whisk when it is removed and held upright, about 1 minute more. Gently fold in the cooled toasted coconut using a rubber spatula.
- On the remaining prepared baking sheet, drop 2-tablespoon portions of the batter at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 250°F (125°C) and bake until the macaroons are set with light golden brown tips and edges, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Immediately transfer the cookies on the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.
- Fill a small saucepan with 1 inch of water, then bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Top the saucepan with a stainless-steel or a glass bowl that fits snugly on top of the saucepan without the bottom of the bowl touching the water. Add the chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl and stir until completely melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a bit, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Dip the bottom 1/2-inch of each macaroon into the melted chocolate, then return it to the parchment. When all are dipped and returned, decoratively drizzle the leftover chocolate over the macaroons. Refrigerate for 5 minutes to set, then serve.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3 pending] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.