- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1 lb (80% lean) ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
- 15 oz ricotta cheese (whole, not skim)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 14 oz no-added-sugar marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh grated mozzarella cheese
- Fill a large pot with water and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Gently remove leaves from cabbage head, then add them to the boiling water. Boil for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet over medium-heat, crumble and cook the ground beef with the minced garlic, the parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring frequently until brown and cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176C).
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce onto the bottom of an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Gently place a layer of cooked cabbage leaves over sauce. Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the cabbage leaves. Then top the ricotta mixture with half of the browned beef. Spread ¾ of the remaining sauce over the meat. Repeat the layers of cabbage leaves, ricotta mix, and beef. Top with the remaining sauce and the mozzarella cheese, then bake in the oven until hot and bubbling, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.