- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1½ qt (6 cups) chicken broth
- 1 lb ground beef chuck, 85% lean
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (or 2 Tbsp dried parsley)
- 1 Tbsp finely minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, grated or crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 6 oz bag (3 packed cups) baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, then grease it with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot and bring it to a mellow simmer.
- In a medium bowl, break up the beef into small chunks. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and the heavy cream, egg, parsley, shallot, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. With clean hands or a wooden spoon, gently mix until just combined; do not over-mix.
- Lightly oil your hands with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, then make 24 small round meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs until they’re golden brown, turning halfway through cooking, 15 to 18 minutes total.
- Add the meatballs to the chicken broth and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped spinach until it’s wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3 pending] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.