- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (1-3/4 pounds)
- 4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 12 oz daikon, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise
- 2 medium lemons, cut in half crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine
- At least 1 hour before cooking and up to overnight, trim chicken thighs of any excess or overhanging fat and salt them all over with 3/4 of the salt. Place on a plate or rimmed tray and set in the refrigerator.
- Position a rack approximately 6-inches under broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Scatter the daikon on a rimmed sheet pan. Drizzle on half of the oil, half of the remaining salt, and half of the pepper, then toss to combine. Place the chicken skin-side up on the sheet pan between the daikon slices. Place under the broiler to brown and crisp the skin, about 10 minutes, rotating the pan a few times and tossing the daikon for even browning. Turn the oven temperature down to 250°F and cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken registers 165°F (75°C) on an instant read thermometer or juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the remaining olive oil, and remaining salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place the lemons, cut side down, in the pan and sear until deeply caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the caramelized lemons to the sheet pan in the oven. To the skillet, add the zucchini, reduce the heat to medium, and let cook, without moving, until golden brown, 2 minutes. Toss and let cook for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring a few times, for 1 minute. Add the wine, then let it bubble up and reduce to half. Cover the skillet with a lid, remove from the heat, and keep warm.
- Place the chicken and lemon halves on a platter and loosely tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Add the daikon and any pan juices to the zucchini and gently toss to combine. Season to taste and pour vegetables around the chicken and lemons and serve.