In cooler months, chicories are a seasonal, delicious base for excellent salads. The sturdier structure of these “bitter greens” means they can sit at the table longer without wilting, and their more assertive flavor means they stand up well to strong-flavored dressings. A blender dressing delivers just that: punchy layers of acid, salt, and Dijon mustard. (Don’t have a blender? Mash the garlic, then whisk the dressing together by hand in a small bowl.) Extra dressing can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for one week.
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juiced, from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 fennel bulb stalks discarded, cored and sliced very thinly
- 4 cups escarole torn into 2-inch pieces, or little gem lettuce
- 3 cups radicchio, trimmed and torn into 2-inch pieces
- 4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- In a blender or blender jar combine the garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, escarole, and radicchio. Toss well with the dressing, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese and hazelnuts over the salad and serve.