An upgrade on the classic American breakfast combo, these impressive, perfectly portioned, grab-and-go bites are as delicious as they are adorable. Make a batch, cover and refrigerate extras, and you’ve got quick access to ample amounts of tasty good fats and protein that can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 slices (3/4 oz) each sugar-free sliced ham (like Applegate Naturals)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley), optional
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190C°). Spray 6 cups of a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Place a slice of ham into each sprayed muffin cup, pressing the bottom and sides, and slightly overlapping if necessary to form a cup.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and one third of the salt. Cook and stir until mostly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Add the eggs, parsley, onion powder, water, and the remaining salt. and the pepper; whisk to combine.
- Evenly distribute half of the cheese among the ham cups, top with the egg mixture, then top with remaining cheese. Bake until puffed and set with only the slightest jiggle in their centers, 15 to 18 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn out the egg cups and serve.