- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 3 Tbsp Sukrin Gold brown sugar or Swerve Brown (erythritol is an acceptable alternative too)
- 1 (18-pound) raw, thawed turkey
- 4 Tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- Make the dry turkey brine: In a small bowl, mix together the salt, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, sage, onion powder, orange zest, and brown sugar.
- At least 24 hours (but preferably 36 hours) before roasting the turkey, massage the dry brine onto the turkey skin to fully cover the bird. Cover the turkey or place in a clean plastic bag and refrigerate.
- Place a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Remove the turkey from the refrigerator, uncover it, set it breast-side up on the prepared rack. Remove the bag of giblets (it’s usually hidden in the body or neck) and reserve for other use or discard. Let the turkey stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Add about ½ inch of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the turkey in the oven, turn down the heat to 350°F, and roast to an internal temperature of at least 165°F in the breast area, about 4 hours, drizzling the butter over the turkey during the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the turkey from the oven, tent it in foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then slice and devour.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.