FOR THE BLINI
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 6 Tbsp melted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- sea salt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb button mushrooms, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz (about 1 cup) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1½ Tbsp chopped fresh thyme, divided
- Make the blini: Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk together the egg yolks, half and half, and 3 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- In the clean, dry bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until light, white and fluffy, holding firm peaks, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the flour-egg yolk batter until combined. Do not overmix (you’ll get flat blini).
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Spoon heaping teaspoons of batter into the pan about 1 inch apart, use a small spatula or back of a spoon dipped in melted butter to gently but quickly smooth and form each into a roughly 2 to 2 ½-inch disc and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently flip and repeat on the other side. Transfer the blini to the prepared wire rack. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter to make approximately 24 blini.
- Make the mushroom and Gruyère topping: Heat the 2 tablespoons butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and the liquids have mostly evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the cheese. Simmer until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in half of the thyme. Remove from heat.
- To serve, arrange the blini on a platter. Top each with a spoonful of the mushrooms, and garnish with the remaining thyme.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.