- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 8 slices keto bread, such as Julian Bakery Paleo Thin coconut or almond bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 oz hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small leek, trimmed and chopped (1-1/2 cups or 4 oz)
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and chopped (1 cup or 3 oz)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup roasted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Scatter the bread pieces in one layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, toss, then bake, tossing a few times during cooking, until lightly browned and a bit crispy, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking it into small pieces with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to the bowl of bread. Reduce heat under the skillet to medium.
- Add to the skillet the celery, leek, and fennel, season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic powder, thyme, oregano, and sage and cook until leeks are golden and soft and the herbs are fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes more. Add the sauteed vegetables to the bowl with the bread mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and broth, then pour it over bread mixture. Add the macadamia nuts, season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and toss until combined and bread is hydrated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, and drizzle it over the stuffing.
- Cover with foil, then bake the stuffing for 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°F (215°C). Uncover and continue to bake the stuffing until its top is golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.