- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 8 slices keto bread, such as Julian Bakery Paleo Thin coconut or almond bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 oz hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small leek, trimmed and chopped (1-1/2 cups or 4 oz)
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and chopped (1 cup or 3 oz)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup roasted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Scatter the bread pieces in one layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle the bread with half of the olive oil, toss, then bake, tossing a few times during cooking, until lightly browned and a bit crispy, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining olive oil. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking it into small pieces with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to the bowl of bread. Reduce heat under the skillet to medium.
- Add to the skillet the celery, leek, and fennel, season with the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic powder, thyme, oregano, and sage and cook until leeks are golden and soft and the herbs are fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes more. Add the sauteed vegetables to the bowl with the bread mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and broth, then pour it over the bread mixture. Add the macadamia nuts, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss until combined and bread is hydrated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, melt the remaining butter, and drizzle it over the stuffing.
- Cover with foil, then bake the stuffing for 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425°F (215°C). Uncover and continue to bake the stuffing until its top is golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.