- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1½ Tbsp garlic powder
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (4-lb) boneless lamb shoulder roast, trimmed and tied (ask the butcher to tie it for you if you like or tie it yourself with butcher twine. There are videos online to show you how)
- 1 recipe Chimichurri Sauce (see below)
- In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, garlic powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add the butter and mix to make a paste. Thoroughly coat the lamb with the garlic-herb paste, then rub it into the meat with your hands to completely coat. Place the roast in a zip-loc bag and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375°F (230°C). Put the lamb on a rack in a roasting pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 130°F (55°C) for rare or 140°F (60°C) for medium-rare, 1 3/4 to 2 hours, tenting the lamb with foil for the last hour of cooking to prevent it from getting too brown. Let meat rest for 20 minutes (or up to 45 minutes) before slicing.
- Slice thin and serve with a side of chimichurri sauce.