- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 slices (3/4 oz) each sugar-free sliced ham (like Applegate Naturals)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley), optional
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190C°). Spray 6 cups of a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Place a slice of ham into each sprayed muffin cup, pressing the bottom and sides, and slightly overlapping if necessary to form a cup.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and one third of the salt. Cook and stir until mostly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Add the eggs, parsley, onion powder, water, and the remaining salt. and the pepper; whisk to combine.
- Evenly distribute half of the cheese among the ham cups, top with the egg mixture, then top with remaining cheese. Bake until puffed and set with only the slightest jiggle in their centers, 15 to 18 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn out the egg cups and serve.
These are really tasty and a great way to use up any leftover veggies. I overbaked my first batch and they were dry. Will definitely make more to keep on-hand for an easy lunch.
I’ve made egg “cupcakes” for years and never thought about using a slice of ham for the cup. Great idea! And boy are they yummy!
I made these on Monday and we loved them. I put other ingredients in that I had and this is our new weekly staple! Thanks for the idea and recipe!
Great news and our pleasure! They are easily modified, aren’t they? We’re thrilled you like them. Thank you so much for letting us know!