- Instant Pot
FOR THE CARNITAS
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder (pork butt), cut into 4 equal chunks
- sea salt
- 2 Tbsp brown granulated erythritol sweetener (we used Swerve brand)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
FOR THE TACOS
- 16 butter lettuce leaves (2 heads)
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- your favorite hot sauce
- Trim and discard any large pieces of fat from the pork. Cut the pork into 2-1/2-inch pieces. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Place pork, sweetener, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in Instant Pot. Toss everything together until well combined. Seal lid and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Release the pressure manually. Shred the pork with two forks.
- Working in batches, transfer shredded pork and liquid to a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat and cook, undisturbed, until underside is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Toss and continue cooking, tossing occasionally, until edges are crispy and caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes longer. Transfer each batch to a casserole dish. Cover with foil to keep warm and moist.
- To serve, transfer the meat to a large platter or individual plates. Serve with the lettuce leaves, radishes, and hot sauce on the side, if desired.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3 pending] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.