- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp garam masala (a dried spice blend available in well-stocked grocers)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 6 Tbsp (3 oz) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Roma plum tomato, diced
- 2 Serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a medium bowl with a lid, add the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, then add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the ginger, cumin seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder and cook, stirring often, until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, Serrano pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until the tomatoes and chiles soften, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and its marinade and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and tomato paste, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened up a bit more, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the almonds, garnish with the cilantro leaves, and serve.