- Instant Pot
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 lb tomatillos, quartered, husks discarded
- 2 jalapeño chilis, roughly chopped, stems discarded
- 2 Tbsp diced shallot
- 1 (4-oz) can mild or hot diced green chile peppers, preferably Hatch brand
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, divided
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- Turn on a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot to the Sauté setting and select high heat. Let it heat until the setting indicates HOT.
- In the hot Instant Pot, combine the chicken, tomatillos, jalapeños, shallot, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir while it heats until gently sizzling, 2 to 3 minutes. Lock on the lid, turn the valve to the seal position, and program to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, release the pressure manually by turning the top valve to the venting position.
- When the pressure has released, carefully remove the lid, transfer the chicken thighs to a bowl, and set aside. Add two-thirds of cilantro to the mixture in the pressure cooker. Use a potato masher or wooden spoon to mash up the sauce a bit but still a bit chunky.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken, then return it to the sauce. Stir to combine, salt to taste, if necessary.
- Transfer to bowls, garnish with avocado, sour cream, and the remaining cilantro.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.