- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (from 1 24-oz cauliflower)
- 1 cup (3 oz) shredded whole-milk mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup (3/4-oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch (8 oz) broccoli rabe
- 1 cup (3 oz) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thin
- 6 oz raw mild or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/3 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (175°C). Set a rack to the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, brush the parchment with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil.
- In a large pot, combine 1 inch of water and the cauliflower florets. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and steam until the cauliflower is very tender when pierced with a fork, about 7 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade, process the cooled cauliflower to rice-size pieces, working in batches if necessary. Transfer the cauliflower rice to the center of a thin, clean, dishtowel. Roll up dish towel with the cauliflower inside, then twist it to squeeze out any excess moisture.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a spoon or rubber spatula to mix together the cauliflower rice with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and the Parmesan, dried oregano, garlic powder, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until the pizza crust “dough” is smooth and like thick pancake batter. Transfer the “dough” to the center of the prepared baking sheet, then use a rubber spatula or clean hands to pat it into a flat circle with a 10- to 11-inch diameter. Brush the dough with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the baked dough (pizza crust), carefully flip the crust upside-down, then peel off the parchment paper. Brush the top of the crust with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil, return the crust to the baking sheet and cook until the crust is evenly golden brown, firm, and slightly crispy, about 25 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add 1/2 inch of water to a large sauté pan with a lid and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli rabe, reduce the heat to medium-high, cover the pan, and let steam for 3 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Discard the water from the sauté pan, set the pan over medium heat, then, when the pan is dry, add the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the sliced garlic and let sizzle and get a bit golden, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sausage and cook, stirring often and breaking up the sausage, until the sausage is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Chop the cooled broccoli rabe into 1-inch pieces. Add it to the sausage and mushrooms, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the pizza crust. Spread the sausage mixture evenly on the crust. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and the fontina cheese, then bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano leaves and serve.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3 pending] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.