- cooking spray (coconut or olive oil)
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1½ cups grated jack cheese, divided
- 4½ cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 whole chicken)
- 1¼ cups sour cream
- 1 (16 oz) jar green chile/tomatillo salsa, divided (like Herdez Salsa Verde)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium Haas avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat the inside of a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Cut a piece of aluminium foil large enough to cover the baking dish; spray one side with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set aside one-third each of the cheddar and jack cheeses. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, remaining cheddar and jack cheeses, sour cream, and three-quarters of the salsa. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining salsa, the reserved cheeses, and the sliced olives. Cover the dish with the aluminum foil, sprayed side down.
- Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake about 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Let the casserole rest for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado and serve.
Wow. Outstanding. Going in the meal rotation!
Just made for first time and it will now be part of our favorite dish rotation. Very good!
We love it when one of our recipes becomes one of your “favorites”
A friend of mine makes this..but improves it by adding chopped Anaheim peppers and Jalapeno..get the slices in the jar..also you can add 1.5 cups chopped broccoli and get a veggie serving. I could eat this every day.
What is the serving size?
The serving size is one-sixth of the finished dish. Divide the dish into 6 wedges or rectangles, depending on your baking vessel, and one of those is a serving.
We love this. It’s wonderful as is or, to stretch, by adding a bag of frozen cauliflower rice before baking. I do that and have salad on the side when we are needing to feed a few extra!
We have a “Tried and True” Pinterest board we share in our family and this recipe has been added to the TOP of the list! No leftovers either!