This hearty casserole has tons of flavor and makes a deliciously easy weeknight dinner. Like it spicy? Use a hot green salsa, add some chopped canned or fresh jalapeños, or swap in Pepper Jack cheese and adjust the macros accordingly.
Add to my Shopping ListGo to my Shopping List
- cooking spray (coconut or olive oil)
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1½ cups grated jack cheese, divided
- 4½ cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken (from 1 whole chicken)
- 1¼ cups sour cream
- 1 (16 oz) jar green chile/tomatillo salsa, divided (like Herdez Salsa Verde)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium Haas avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Coat the inside of a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Cut a piece of aluminium foil large enough to cover the baking dish; spray one side with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set aside one-third each of the cheddar and jack cheeses. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, remaining cheddar and jack cheeses, sour cream, and three-quarters of the salsa. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining salsa, the reserved cheeses, and the sliced olives. Cover the dish with the aluminum foil, sprayed side down.
- Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake about 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Let the casserole rest for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado and serve.