This simple, delicious version of classic cream of broccoli soup is accented with a kiss of lemon, which plays up the earthy, verdant flavors of the broccoli and brightens up the tangy sour cream garnish.
Add to my Shopping ListGo to my Shopping List
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 (10-oz) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (from 1 lemon), divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Bring the vegetable broth and the water to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until thawed but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the cream, increase the heat and bring to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is quite tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon of cream and half of lemon juice. Set aside.
- Working in batches, if necessary, in a blender combine the broccoli and broth, cover, and blend on high speed until smooth; pour the soup into a bowl. Stir in the remaining lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the soup to the pot, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and heat until hot, thinning with water to change the consistency if desired.
- Ladle into 4 bowls, drizzle some of the lemon crème over each soup portion, and serve.