- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) avocado oil
- 1 lb spicy chorizo sausage links
- 1 large onion, minced
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp (24 g) chili powder
- 1½ tsp (3 g) smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp (9 g) dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp (12 g) cumin powder
- 1½ tsp Himalayan salt,plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, optional
- 1 Tbsp (8 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (6-oz [170-g]) can tomato paste
- 2 (14.5-oz [411-g]) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5-oz [430-ml]) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (or 3) bell peppers (different colors), chopped
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- chopped cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Add the oil to a large pot. Add the sausage links and cook over medium heat until seared on all sides and cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside to cool, reserving the oil in the pot. When the sausage is cool, use kitchen shears or a knife to cut the links into bite-size pieces.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot with the reserved oil from the sausage. If your pot needs a little more oil, add more here. Stir and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cinnamon and cook until fragrant. Add the ground beef and cook until the meat is brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce, then add the bell peppers and cooked sausage. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Add more salt to taste. Serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro (if using).
- Substitution Note: To make this vegetarian, swap out the chorizo and ground beef for low-carb vegan alternatives.
Keto-Mojo is a participant in some affiliate programs and some of the links above will generate a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site. This is at no cost to you and all proceeds go directly to the nonprofit Ketogenic Foundation [501(c)3 pending] to assist with their mission funding education and research into the ketogenic diet and lifestyle. Keto-Mojo in no way profits from these links.