This feisty, mouthwatering classic Italian combo is often served tossed with pasta. This version skips the carb-heavy noodles and celebrates the spice-kissed flavors of tender-crisp broccoli and savory, chewy sausage. Bonus: it’s fast to make and easily modified to your liking; add more red pepper to crank up the heat or drizzle some extra olive oil or add a sprinkling of nuts or more cheese for extra fat macros. Just be sure to recalculate the macros with any changes.
Add to my Shopping ListGo to my Shopping List
- 1 lb 6 cups broccoli
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 oz (3/4 lb) Italian sausage, casings removed, meat crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet with a lid, combine the broccoli, 3/4 cup water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook the broccoli until nearly tender, 3 minutes. Drain the broccoli and place it on a clean kitchen towel.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil and the sausage and cook until browned while breaking it into small pieces with a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, the garlic, and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring briefly. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring to combine, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and toss. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.