- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 (10-oz) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (from 1 lemon), divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Bring the vegetable broth and the water to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until thawed but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the cream, increase the heat and bring to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is quite tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon of cream and half of lemon juice. Set aside.
- Working in batches, if necessary, in a blender combine the broccoli and broth, cover, and blend on high speed until smooth; pour the soup into a bowl. Stir in the remaining lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the soup to the pot, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and heat until hot, thinning with water to change the consistency if desired.
- Ladle into 4 bowls, drizzle some of the lemon crème over each soup portion, and serve.
I thought all the five star reviews were suspicious, but it really is delicious. The only thing I changed was adding more lemon juice and about half a tablespoon of zest to the lemon cream, since I was mostly tasting sour cream. Everyone loved this! Also this is the first soup recipe I’ve tried in ages that isn’t painfully undersalted. Good, hearty broccoli soup without the lemon cream, and with the lemon cream it’s an entirely new experience.
Yep, it’s really that good. And thanks for the suggestion to add more lemon juice/zest.
Easy and absolutely delicious!
This soup is stunning, and the lemon creme takes it to the next level. Family members request this often! So glad we tried it!
One of our families favorite meals. The Lemon creme is delicious.