Spicy sausage and vodka give this creamy keto pasta sauce a deliciously spicy kick, and “zoodles” (zucchini noodles) make this “pasta” dish keto-friendly. Note: this recipe calls for spiralized zucchini. If you don’t have a spiralizer or can’t find zucchini already spiralized in your market, you can use a vegetable peeler to make wide, paper-thin zucchini strips.
- 1 lb (16 oz) hot Italian sausage, casings removed and discarded
- 1 (8) oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup (1/2 of a 14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into thin 1-inch long strips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 small zucchini, spiralized
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Pinch off and drop bite-size pieces of sausage into the saucepan and sauté, stirring occasionally until the sausage is cooked through but not browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and tomatoes, stir, and heat through, about 3 minutes. Add the vodka and red pepper strips. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook until red pepper starts to soften and the sauce has reduced and thickened a bit, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer gently to heat through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with the salt and pepper.
- Microwave the spiralized zucchini until warm but still al dente (slightly toothsome), 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the zucchini into 4 bowls, and spoon one-fourth of the sauce on top of each, then garnish each with one-fourth of the Parmesan cheese. Serve.