- 1 lb (16 oz) hot Italian sausage, casings removed and discarded
- 1 (8) oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup (1/2 of a 14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into thin 1-inch long strips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 small zucchini, spiralized
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Pinch off and drop bite-size pieces of sausage into the saucepan and sauté, stirring occasionally until the sausage is cooked through but not browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and tomatoes, stir, and heat through, about 3 minutes. Add the vodka and red pepper strips. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook until red pepper starts to soften and the sauce has reduced and thickened a bit, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the heavy cream and simmer gently to heat through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with the salt and pepper.
- Microwave the spiralized zucchini until warm but still al dente (slightly toothsome), 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the zucchini into 4 bowls, and spoon one-fourth of the sauce on top of each, then garnish each with one-fourth of the Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Really quick and flavorful dish. Really great when you want something hearty and are short on time.
So so good. Made this tonight and it was exactly the down home meal we were craving today.