Sometimes when you’re on the keto diet, you need a snack. At home, you can reach into your refrigerator (maybe for some cheese or olives), or maybe you have beef jerky stocked away in a cupboard. Perhaps you’ve gotten in the habit of making small protein wraps with a slice of cheese, turkey, and whatever greens you have on hand.
Unfortunately, we’re not at home all the time. And despite the keto diet’s ability to curb your appetite, sometimes you get hungry and just want a quick on-the-go snack that meets ketogenic dietary recommendations. In these instances, you want to stock up on grab-and-go options that require minimal preparation before you head out for the day.
Luckily, as more people turn to the keto diet to reap its many health benefits, Walmart has turned into a treasure trove of keto snack options. Keep reading to learn about our recommendations for the best keto-friendly snacks you can find at Walmart.
What Makes a Good Keto Snack?
First, let’s cover what qualifies as a good snack choice that won’t offset your state of ketosis. Beginning with macros, any snack you select should have no more than 6 grams of net carbohydrates per serving and no more than 12 grams if you’re consuming a meal replacement product. In addition, you should:
- Prioritize high-quality oils: Avoid margarine, soybean, and vegetable oils, all known for their partially hydrogenated trans fat content.
- Avoid added sweeteners: This includes sugar, honey, corn syrups, and other sweeteners due to the carbohydrates they add, as well as artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose. (And speaking of artificial, generally avoid artificial flavors as well.)
- Snack sparingly: Due to the nature of the keto diet, snacking should only be occasional — not a regular habit to tide you over between meals. Select choices high in fats and proteins that help you feel full and, in select instances, let you effectively space out meals.
- Select real foods: Yes, snack bars are convenient (and many are keto-friendly), but keep “real,” whole foods — such as avocados, olives, cheese, nuts, eggs, jerky and other meat sources like bacon, sausages and cold cuts — at the front of your mind. These choices are high in healthy fats and low in net carbohydrates. Just for context, a 3.5-ounce serving of olives offers 15 grams of fats and 4 grams of total carbohydrates, with the majority coming from fiber.
- Don’t discount vegetables: If your snacking choices lean more toward veggies and dip, make it keto-friendly: Chop low-carbohydrate vegetables into sticks and serve them with sour cream, cream cheese, or a raw nut butter low in sugar and made with a healthy oil.
- Wrap it up: You’ve done this with a burger, and for snacking, small-scale wraps are an increasingly popular choice. Go with lettuce, spinach, or collard greens, and fill them with cheese, fish, or a small piece of meat or sausage.
- Fat bombs: These low-carb snacks satisfy your hunger and cravings for something sweet.
- Don’t forget about yogurt: Look for coconut and select dairy sources high in fat, low in sugar, and offering a source of probiotics for gut health.
Best Keto Snacks from Walmart
With this framework in mind, Walmart has both bases of your snack strategy covered. One, you can pick up cheese slices, vegetables, yogurt, meats, and produce from its grocery section. Its aisles, meanwhile, offer a variety of ready-made and grab-and-go choices that won’t derail your state of ketosis. Consider the following:
We’ll start with the most straightforward and convenient choice for prepared snacking on the go. Many stores are carrying more keto-friendly bars, Walmart included. Some options are:
- Quest: Anyone who’s tried a high-protein diet is likely familiar with Quest. Quest bars, as well as Quest dessert choices, up the protein and fiber contents and offer low net carbohydrates. For example, the S’Mores Protein Bar has 20 grams of protein, 4 grams of net carbs, nine essential amino acids, and 14 grams of fiber. This is paired with a taste reminiscent of the classic campfire snack. In the mood for a sweet treat but want to remain in ketosis? Quest’s Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie has a similar profile, with 15 grams of protein and 4 grams of net carbohydrates.
- Atkins: Also popular among those sticking to a high-protein diet, many Atkins products are also keto-friendly, with high-fat and low net-carb options. In keeping track of your macros, the Lemon Gluten Free Snack Bar adds a touch of tartness to a fuel-packed, satisfying snack, offering 13 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of net carbohydrates.
- Shakes: SlimFast continues to diversify its offerings based on the variety of diet plans out there. Readily available at most Walmarts, SlimFast Keto Meal Replacement shakes keep net carbohydrates low (just 2 grams per 11-fluid-ounce bottle for the Creamy Milk Chocolate Flavor) and limit sugars without compromising taste. Upping the healthy fat content is a mix of protein and MCT coconut oil. SlimFast recommends its keto shakes as after-workout snacks, in place of three keto snacks or as a substitution for a full keto meal.
- Fat Bombs: If you do not have the time to make you own, SlimFast has ready-made versions inspired by popular desserts.
No, we’re not talking about potato chips or tortilla chips. Instead, Walmart’s selection can satisfy your need for the salty taste and crunch of popular snack foods without derailing ketosis. Keto-friendly options include:
- Pork rinds (also called chichcarrones): These are high in fat, low in net carbs, and satisfy your craving for crunch. Find them in bags from Epic and 4505 Meats, known for sourcing their pigskin exclusively from small family ranchers that practice sustainable and humane husbandry techniques and not using preservatives
- Whisps Cheese Crisps: Essentially, this is cheese fried until crunchy. Whisps span a wide range of familiar cheeses and offer about 2 grams of net carbohydrates per serving.
Stock up on your favorite nuts! While cashews aren’t the most keto-friendly choice, Walmart also offers walnuts, almonds, pecans, and macadamia nuts from a variety of brands. Want to learn more about which nuts are the most keto-friendly and which to avoid? Click here.
Jerky & Biltong
Keep it simple by stocking up on bags of Jack Link’s jerky and protein snacks, known for having no added sugars, a low net-carb content, and a satisfying smoky flavor.
Some Walmarts also offer the option of experimentation: Try alligator and boar jerkies, courtesy of Meat Maniac, find turkey jerky from Chomps or give biltong a taste. Biltong is an air-dried alternative with a lighter flavor, more protein, and even fewer carbohydrates. Walmart carries biltong products from Stryve.
Pouches & Cans
Walmart presents a few easily transportable versions of your favorites — great for when you’re off to work or going away for the weekend. Popular choices include:
- Olives: In pouches and in cups, find traditional and gourmet olives that can be eaten on the go, including from Gaea and other brands.
- Fish: Find tuna and salmon, including from Wild Planet and Tonnino, packaged ready to eat with no preparation from a pouch. Eat it alone for a mix of healthy fats, protein, and amino acids, or combine it with greens or keto bread.
Get food prep ideas from Keto-Mojo for sticking to your macros. Explore recipes, learn more about nutrition information, or create a custom meal plan today.