How Do I Perform the Ketone Urine Test?
- Last updated October 5, 2020
To perform a midstream test:
- Gently wash the genital area thoroughly with soap and water then rinse well prior to testing. Wash your hands.
- Remove the strip from the vial and use the strip as soon as possible. Immediately close the vial tightly.
- Hold the end of the strip farthest away from the test pad(s) and begin urinating. After 1 or 2 seconds of passing urine, hold the strip downward with the test pad pointing into the urine stream for 1 – 2 seconds. Make sure the test pad is completely wet.
- After removing the strip from your urine, immediately bring the edge of the strip into contact with an absorbent material (e.g., paper towel or toilet paper) to remove excess urine. Lay the strip with the test pad(s) facing upwards and begin timing.
- You may read results starting at 40 seconds. After 2 minutes, the results may not be accurate. Compare the test pad to the color blocks on the vial label. Make sure that you read the results in a well-lit area. Hold the strip close to the blocks, and carefully match the pad to the color chart.
- Discard the strip after 2 minutes.