- Last updated December 5, 2017
What is control solution?
Control solutions are a way to test your meter so you know that it is giving you accurate results. However, it’s very rare to need a control solution for a Keto-Mojo meter, as our meters seldom fall out of calibration. That said, we include information about control solutions in our manual so you will know you have a way to benchmark if you feel your meter is not working properly. Our control solutions contain a known amount of β-Ketone or Glucose that can react with Keto-Mojo test strips.
Am I missing control solution from my Keto-Mojo kit?
No, you’re not missing control solutions from your Keto-Mojo kit. Although the Keto-Mojo manual suggests testing with control solutions, this is not necessary because all Keto-Mojo meters are calibrated for control before they leave the factory. You don’t have to worry about the Keto-Mojo’s accuracy once you receive it. If you suspect your meter is giving you inaccurate readings outside the accepted variance (click for details on glucose or ketone variance), please contact customer support and we will help you get to the bottom of the problem.
When should the control solution test be performed?
If you suspect your meter has been dropped or damaged, or you suspect your meter or strips are not giving you accurate readings, you may want to perform a control test. You can purchase control solutions on our website here, and perform a test. If your test results are not within the control range, please contact customer support and we will determine if you are eligible for a replacement.
How do I use the control solutions?
- Make sure you have your meter, an unused test strip, and the control solution.
- Insert a glucose or ketone test strip to turn on your meter. Wait for the meter to display the flashing blood droplet.
- Shake the control solution vial thoroughly. Squeeze out a drop of solution on to the tip of the vial cap and wipe it off. Then squeeze out another drop onto the tip of the vial cap. With the strip in the meter, gently move the tip of the test strip to the control solution droplet and hold there until strip fills completely and the meter begins to count down.
- To avoid contaminating the control solution, do not apply control solution directly from the bottle onto a strip.
- NOTE: Your device will tag this measurement as QC test automatically.
- After counting down, the meter will display the test result. Compare this result with the range printed on the side of your strip vial; if the results fall within the range, your meter is working properly. If the results do not fall within the range, please read the instructions again and repeat the control solution test. If the results are still outside of the range, contact customer support
- Whenever “QC”is displayed, your meter recognized that this was test result and will store your test result in memory under “QC,” not in your personal readings.
Note: Each bottle of control solution has a code written on the bottle. Ketones; L1 or L2. Glucose W2 or B3. You will find the range corresponding to this code on your strips under control solution range.
Please refer to the Owner’s Manual that came with your meter or download it here for complete testing instructions.
Do Control Solutions expire?
Yes. Control solutions have a shelf life of 12- 18 months (this expiration is printed on the bottle) or 90 days from when it was first opened, whichever is sooner.