When and How to Use the Control Solution with the GKI Keto-Mojo Meter
- Last updated September 6, 2019
What is control solution?
Control solutions are a way to test your meter so you know that it is giving you accurate results. Although we provide control solutions in your Keto-Mojo meter kit, we find that our meters seldom fall out of calibration and contrary to what the manual says, you don’t need to test every week.
When should the control solution test be performed?
- If your meter has been dropped or damaged
- Your strips have been exposed to extreme temperature or humidity
- you suspect your meter or strips are not giving you accurate readings, you may want to perform a control test.
- If your test results do not seem accurate
About the Control Solution
- Only use Keto-Mojo Glucose/Ketone Control Solutions (Normal or High)
- All expiration dates are printed in Year-Month format. For example, 2021-01 refers to January, 2021.
- Do not use control solution that is past the expiration date or discard date (the control solution will expire 6 months after the bottle is opened for the first time).
- Shake the bottle well before use.
- Close the bottle tightly after use.
Performing a Control Solution Test
- Remove a test strip from its foil pouch. Note: Check the expiration date of the test strips, found on the back of the foil pouch. Do not use the expired test strip.
- Insert a test strip into the meter.
- The meter turns on after a beep. An image of a test strip with a flashing blood droplet will appear letting you know the meter is ready to test.
- Shake the control solution bottle thoroughly. Squeeze the control solution bottle gently and discard the first drop. Squeeze out a second small drop on a clean nonabsorbent surface.
- Note: Do not apply control solution to the test strip directly from the bottle
- Immediately touch the tip of the test strip to the drop of control solution. The control solution is drawn into the test strip.
- Note: If the control solution sample does not fill the window, do not add a second drop. Discard the test strip and start over with a new test strip.
- Hold it in the drop until the meter beeps, and you see the meter begin to count down on the screen, after which your control test results will display.
Note: The meter will automatically recognize and mark the control result for you. Control results are not included in the 7, 14 and 30 day average calculation.
Understanding Your Control Test Result
**Compare your control test result with the ranges printed on the test strip box or label. For the strips that came with your meter, the range is found on the bottom of the meter box. For additional strips, the range is found on the strip packaging.
If your control test result is out of range:
- Check the expiration dates and discard dates of the test strip and control solution. Make sure that the control solution bottle has not been opened for more than 6 months. Discard any expired test strips or control solution.
- Confirm the temperature in which you are testing glucose control is between 10 and 40°C, and testing Ketone control is between 15 and 40°C.
- Make sure that the control solution bottle has been tightly capped.
- Make sure the test strip was used immediately after removing from the test strip foil pouch.
- Make sure the control solution was mixed well.
- Confirm that you are using Keto-Mojo brand control solution.
- Make sure that you followed the test procedure correctly.
After checking all of the conditions listed above, repeat the control solution test with a new test strip. If your results still fall out of the range indicated on the test strip box or label, your meter or test strips may not be working properly. DO NOT use the system to test blood. Please contact Keto-Mojo customer support for further assistance. You may be eligible for a replacement.
To turn your meter off, just remove the test strip. Dispose of the used test strips as medical waste. The result will be automatically marked and stored in the meter memory. Control results will not be included in your test averages.